Monday, August 29, 2005

Seven Bloody Things

I usually steer clear of lists, largely because of indolence but also because I just don't find myself that interesting (well I do, but not in an entirely self-reflective way!). I've already reneged on list requests from Peter Levine (still thinking about that one) and David (it was too hard: strictly speaking I'm still thinking about that one too...). Anyway, I've been asked to do this particular list by UI and Colm Bracken. So here goes:

Seven things I plan to do before I die
  1. Complete and publish that bloody book on Ireland.
  2. Decide to stop procrastinating.
  3. Learn to speak another language well.
  4. Learn to drive (probably very shortly before I die).
  5. Have kids and raise them such that they don't blame me for their lives.
  6. Take a big long list of others with me whilst rehearsing an evil laugh.
  7. Fall to the ground unconscious without lending any thought as to what's happening.

Seven things I can do
  1. Cook, but especially bake.
  2. Run relatively long distances.
  3. Write ponderous articles that other academics seem to want to read.
  4. Distract myself from work with great ease.
  5. Talk in public without feeling like I might die (a relatively recent phenomenon!)
  6. Get excited by new things.
  7. Take a deep breath and calm down.

Seven things I can not do
  1. Make omelettes like my Grandmother used to make them.
  2. Run relatively long distances at any great speed.
  3. Swim well enough to prevent drowning if it ever came to it.
  4. Drive.
  5. Calculus.
  6. Sleep on long-haul flights.
  7. Drink great volumes.

Seven things that I find really attractive about the opposite sex

This blog is not supposed to be that personal!

Seven things I say the most
  1. Marvellous!
  2. Total bollocks!
  3. Stunning
  4. Stuff
  5. ...I mean...
  6. What?
  7. require (a real political philosophy word!)

Seven books I love

Well, these have to be broken down into books I love using in teaching...

  1. Thomas Hobbes Leviathan
  2. Plato's Republic
  3. John Rawls's Political Liberalism, for some reason, since it's not his best book.

    ...then two books I return to every few years - surely the best indication of what my favourites are...

  4. Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses, strangely enough.
  5. David Thomson's stunning Woodbrook (there's an extract here).

    ...and finally...

  6. E.H. Gombrich's Story of Art, a beautiful, sumptuous book. And you learn stuff too!
  7. I have a strange thing for Atlases: can't get enough of them.

Seven people I would like to see take this quiz.
Och, I think I'll leave this bit out. I don't know anyone who hasn't filled it out and has this much willingness to faff!

No comments: